Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Cheer Coach!!!

A person who has made a real difference in my life would have to be my cheer coach. She is some one that I look up to and admire. She is a hard worker and is dedicated to her cheerleading squad here at California Baptist University. Coming in as a new coach at the beginning of the 2008 school year, I can imagine she had to idea of what to expect. The cheer team was not willing to accept a new coach and made her life hell the first couple weeks of practice. She was strong and let everyone know that she knew what she was doing at that she cared about us as a team. Wendy Rice wants to see her team of girls grow spiritually as well as athletically. She pushes us at practice to do our absolute best and she helps us get better and better. I can remember a time when I was going through a bad time this year. I made some wrong decisions and sometimes I went to her to let her know what was going on in my life. It was amazing to talk to somebody who could just listen and understand what I was going through. Even though she might not know it she is a great example to me and some one who I look up to. She also has a family of her own on top of the cheer squad. I bet she has to be really strong to be away from her children to dedicate her time to her cheer squad. From the first day of practice till now, this years cheerleading squad is one hundred times better and dedicated. If it wasn't for Wendy Rice's time, dedication and effort, we would not be as good as we are now. She made us more than just a cheer squad, she made us a team that works hard to reach the goals set in front of us. She has reached me personally in many other ways as well. In being an incoming freshman this year, I was expecting to be on an amazing college cheer squad. I was looking forward to the college cheerleading experience. She made it more than I could have ever expected. She made practice a place where I could let go of problems and just have fun and be in a great environment that helped me grow spiritually as well as athletically. 

2 comments:

fbagube8 said...

Hi camille! [: I am happy to hear that you are having a great time on the cheer team. We all know how intimidating it came be coming in as a newbie but, being a newcomer on a sports team is even more overwhelming. I applaud you for being strong and having the maturity to turn to amazing role models such as your coach, during rough times instead of mopping around and feeling sorry for yourself.
As a spectator at the basketball games I have been amazed by some of the stunts the cheer team performs. Continue to keep up the good work girl, no matter how hard things may get during the season! [=

Jessica said...

Thats so great that she has made it even more enjoyable experience for you :)